Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Day in the Life of Scott School...

There is a fantastic series going on over at Simple Homeschool called A Homeschool Day in the Life.  So I thought it would be kind of fun to share what a typical day looks like around here...

We have 3 children Hudson 8, Meadow 5, and Delaney 2

We usually wake up around 7:30... The kiddos eat a quick breakfast (something like cereal and yogurt and cut up fruit) and I make eggs... I love eggs...

After chores (Kitchen clean up and animal feeding)  it's free play all together... this usually means my living room looks like the toy box threw up in it...

After free play it's clean up while mom makes lunch... (sometimes left overs... sometimes a variety plate, fruit veggies, crackers, hummus, deli meat, cheese)

Quick clean up after lunch and Delaney heads for her nap. Then... SCHOOL BEGINS!

First up is reading...
Hudson reads silently and then tells me about the chapter or two he has read.
Meadow reads aloud to me...

Next Hudson moves on to picking a journal prompt from a jar and writing in his journal and Meadow moves on to complete 2 pages of Explode the Code.

From there we head into project time... This might look like a lapbook a child is working on or building a popsicle stick bridge... there are any number of project possibilities...
Meadow thinking over a lapbook activity

Hudson in the beginning stages of putting together his bridge.

Last in our day is math... Hudson uses Life of Fred and Meadow's math is eclectic... We are really enjoying various resources by the Moffatt Girls 


And if Delaney just happens to wake up before we are through I have a few puzzles about for her to explore.


Now you may look at my day a think they are missing some subjects... Science and Social Studies are something we include in project time... We inject art randomly... and P.E. we cover with gymnastics, swimming, sledding and skiing.

What does your day look like?  
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice description Sarah - i love your blog posts! I learned something new here too... I don't think I knew that you do the majority of your schooling in the afternoon, but of course that makes sense with Delaney's nap schedule! Never a dull moment! Would love to see how Hudson's bridge turns out!

homeschool.rookie said...

...a toy box threw up in it...
my favorite phrase in the whole article! i love it. :)
(good job on the day, too)

Debbie said...

Lovely post :) my living room always seems to look like a toy box threw up over it!

Unknown said...

Love your post! I love the idea of "project time" and then just having reading and math. Do you consider yourselves unschoolers then? I wish I was brave enough to unschool but homeschooling in itself is already a fairly new concept here in the Philippines! Praying for God's will and the wisdom to know it, in terms of our homeschooling! :) God bless you and your family! (Oh and I TOTALLY relate to the toy box throwing up in our living area... Not just the toy box but the bookshelves too! Haha!)

Share This Idea!